Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Conversations with a 4 year old

Here is a picture of my 4-year-old playing in the leaves last weekend. I think he is probably your typical 4-year-old...you know, looks all sweet and innocent yet says the craziest things.

Today before I put the boys down for their naps, we were going through the normal routine of picking up toys. Jackson (above) was all wound up and was not quite helping as much as his 2-year-old brother. He had several warnings about not helping...but then it happened. I turned into my mother and started yelling to him (as he was not even in the same room now). "Jackson! Get in here right now and help us put away your toys. One....TWO......" By now I had walked into his room because I knew the whole counting thing wasn't working.

He was sitting on his bed smiling and said, "Mommy, you forgot to say THREE!!"

"You don't want me to get to three," I said.

"I don't? Why? What happens when you count to three??" he said (very well knowing what happens when I get to three).

"You go to time out," I reminded him.

"Oh. Well, what happens when you count to four?" he asked.

"Jackson, don't worry about it." At this point I knew it was hopeless.

"Ok. So I shouldn't worry what happens when you count to four...or ten...or eighty??" he asked. "Just three?"

"Right."

How do kids come up with this stuff??

1 comment:

Lara said...

they are just too smart, aren't they?